Fire burns home on McKinney's east side
Courtesy of First Response Photography - McKinney firefighters battle a blaze that destroyed much of a home's insides Sunday evening in eastern McKinney. None of the five residents were home at the time of the fire.
A house fire destroyed much of residents' personal property Sunday evening in eastern McKinney.
The McKinney Fire Department responded to a structure fire at around 6 p.m. in the 500 block of Green Street, near a trailer park east of McDonald Street. Nine MFD apparatus and 22 firefighters responded to the fire, said MFD Public Information Officer Stacie Durham. Flames had engulfed an entire wing of the residence by their arrival.
"It is believed to have been electrical in nature," Durham said, proposing that an electrical-outlet overload could have been the cause.
None of the five residents who live there were home during the fire, but Durham said "they basically lost everything," which prompted the American Red Cross to care for them in the aftermath.
Firefighters were able to get the fire "under control really quickly," Durham said, but the last MFD unit didn't clear the premise until almost 9 p.m. because of post-fire cleanup procedures.
Durham said though the heat likely had no bearing on the fire, certain precautions could have helped the residents avoid it.
"People need to use extreme caution when using electrical appliances, to not overload electrical outlets and to make sure electric cords are not torn or damaged in any way," she said. "If they are, they need to take them to a professional for repair."